Albert, TX - a Hill Country
Tradition Since 1892.
In 1892, when Albert and Minnie Luckenbach sold their store in Luckenbach and moved 20 miles east to Martinsburg, the little town of Martinsburg was renamed “Albert”. The first local school was established in 1891, and in 1897, then Postmaster Otto Schumann opened the town’s first general store. By 1900, a new school building was erected that the young LBJ would attend.
The Albert Dance Hall was built in 1922 by Max Beckman, and provided the community a place for Saturday night dances and social gatherings. It featured German brass bands rotating between the Luckenbach, Hye and Weinheimer Dance Halls of the time.
Located just south of Highway 290, halfway between Fredericksburg and Johnson City, the tradition of community gatherings and dancing continues. We’re always happy to see familiar faces or make a new friend, so stop on by and enjoy a little taste of Texas tradition and a cold beer or cocktail while you’re at it. We’ve got live music most nights and our Icehouse and food truck, Bokita Gourmet Street Food; are both open everyday!